Figs was officially named in 2007 and jumped into the Wholesale Market in 2008. It's been a whirlwind of a ride the past couple years and they can now be found across the globe in Ma & Pop shops, museum shops, catalogs (Uncommon Goods, Red Envelope, Chasing Fireflies...), national & worldwide chain stores like Anthropologie and of course, online.
Currently Figs is based out of the Wyman's home in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina. Elijah & Rhonda have been working together on their art & music since their marriage back in 2004, the same year Rhonda graduated Rhode Island School of Design with a degree in Jewelry & Light Metals. The two love to travel to craft shows and delicious restaurant. You may even have seen Elijah free of Rhonda traveling to house shows, festivals, and random venues, or heard him on your local college radio station. He's an indie-pop singer-songwriting superhero. Listen to his music here: The Decent Lovers or scroll to the bottom. Below you'll see a photo of him opening for Foster the People in 2013.
T H E M U S I C T H A T W E M A K E
G R E E N V A L U E S
We really do care, a lot. For the past couple years we have been making earth friendly changes within our business and personal life.This was not because it was 'the in thing' but because we began to educate ourselves about the state of our earth, and started thinking about raising children. We love our earth and want them to have a chance to appreciate it as we do. So we needed to change a lot, and we have.
We couldn't be happier with this "Going Green" trend, even if certain companies only go this route for financial gain, its a bandwagon to encourage. As Figs & Ginger has been growing we were able to take baby steps towards becoming green. Recently we have been given the opportunity to stop those baby steps and full on run into our dream of being an Eco-Friendly Family Business and are delighted to announce we are finally able to call ourselves a "Green Business" and here is what makes us so.1. We use a minimum of 50% Recycled/Reclaimed Silver & Gold. Any stock silver we use (i.e. not cast items) is 100% recycled.
2. We have switched to Bio-degradable flux's and Citric Acid pickle. This is much better for our bodies too!
3. All our literature is printed on 80-100% post consumer product, much of it with soy based inks. The paper we purchase is made in a hydro-electric powered plant.
4. We recycle of course.
5. For our upcoming wedding line and in custom work we refuse to work with diamonds on an human rights and environmental level. (unless they are handed down in the family.)
6. Our studio (which is in our yard) has a nice south facing window and skylight so that we don't need lights in the day.
7. We plan to heat our studio primarily using a passive solar window box heater that we will build.
8. We try and make it easy for people to find shops that carry us near them so that they can shop locally instead of through our site. Check out our "Where to Buy" Section to see if we're in a shop near you!
9. Our padded mailers are 90% recycled, 50% post consumer.